Gaynham King & Mellor Solicitors


Please find below a brief overview of the services we provide.

Divorce and Separation


If your marriage has broken down and you decide to divorce, you must, in the first instance, have been married for a period of at least 12 months before you can apply to the court for a divorce.

You have to show that your marriage has "irretrievably broken down" and that the breakdown is supported by one of the following:-

A. Your husband/wife has committed adultery (i.e. engaged in sexual intercourse with another person of the opposite sex) and you find it intolerable to live with him/her.


Children matters

The law relating to children is primarily governed  by The Children Act 1989.

Parental Responsibility

Parental Responsibility is a legal term and is defined as all the rights, duties, powers, responsibilities and authority which by law a parent has in relation to a child and his/her property.  Parental Responsibility is concerned with bringing the child up, caring for him/her and making decisions for him/her.  It essentially involves all those important decisions that a parent has to make on a day to day basis in respect of a child in their care.


Living Together and your rights if you separate

It is important to understand that living together does not give you a legal right over each other or legal duties and responsibilities to each other. The idea of a “Common Law Marriage” or “Common Law Wife” is a myth.

Setting up home

If you sort out your legal position properly when you start living together it helps address the difficulties that you might encounter if you separate. You need to choose whether you are going to hold the property as either:


Domestic violence and injunctions

Domestic abuse can include a wide range of behaviours designed, amongst other things, to hurt, frighten and or intimidate. It can include physical violence and assault as well as verbal and emotional abuse.

Whatever the behaviour presented, you are entitled to protection and the law can assist you in securing that protection.


Local Authority Childcare: Intervention and Proceedings

The social services department in your Local Authority (Council) is responsible for making sure that children are safe and appropriately cared for by their parents or the person looking after them.

If social services believe, from information received, that a child may be suffering serious harm or is likely to suffer serious harm, then they can apply to the court for a Care Order.


Wills and Probate

“Why should I make a Will”

You can say what will happen to your possessions and assets when you die.

To make a valid Will you must be:

  • Mentally capable.
  • At least 18 years old.

A Will must have been made without undue influence, be in writing, be signed by the person whose Will it is and by two witnesses, who must all be together at the signing and be dated when it has been signed.


Buying and Selling Property (Conveyancing)

Once you have negotiated the purchase of a new home or agreed the sale of your existing property, you will need to enlist the services of a lawyer to deal with the legal formalities. We call this the conveyancing process and the lawyer who carries it out a conveyancer.

The basic procedure

We hope you will find useful the following summary of the conveyancing process in operation and the various stages through which the transaction will progress before reaching completion.




At Gaynham King & Mellor we aim to provide an all round service to commercial clients both large and small and in whatever business format be it sole trader, partnership or company.

Commercial transactions are rarely simple and clients need expert advice to steer them through the maze of legislation and regulation.  We offer a comprehensive service dealing with commercial matters including:


  • Formation of Partnerships
  • Partnership Agreements

Landlord and Tenant


Agricultural Issues

Legal advice in the Agricultural Sector is essential in view of the complexity of UK and EC legislation.  The modern day farming client requires clear and up to date advice and information before embarking on any venture.

Our aim at Gaynham King & Mellor is to provide such a service dealing with all legal aspects relating to Agriculture and in particular:-